Monday, August 1, 2011

Susan's Oven Risotto


Grains sure are hard to come by here in New England. When we lived in California we ate rice from the Sacramento Valley, but otherwise we just bought grains in bulk - and that's what we're doing here, too. I have found Maine cornmeal and the lovely wheat from western Massachusetts, but we need our whole grains to stay trim and fit! So, I do buy rice, quinoa, and other things, and occasionally we get a bag of wheat or barley from the Enterprise Farm Share. If you, dear readers, have suggestions for where to find more local grains, please let me know.

Now that Susan and Tim are on their honeymoon in la bella Italia, I have been craving Italian goodness...pizza, ricotta, tomatoes and basil, olives...Risotto, a creamy Italian rice dish, is one of my favorite meals and is a great way to use up the veggies from the Waltham Fields Share, especially when one begins to grow tired of summer squash and zucchini. My sister Susan is an absolutely wonderful cook and she has several tried and true recipes (if you're lucky, I'll share some more). One of these is an oven risotto that takes less than half an hour from beginning to your bowl. This is not the traditional way to concoct an Italian risotto and may offend you die-hard risotto eaters, but it sure is quick and delicious.

I'm writing this as the smell of risotto fills the air - temperatures are finally cool enough for me to turn on the oven and we had an abundance of veggies in the fridge. Hopefully this will satisfy my Italian cravings!

Susan Foster's Oven Risotto:
1/4 c. onion, chopped
1-2 c. other veggies - leeks, summer squash, zucchini, fennel, or whatever hearty summer veg you might have on hand - cut into very thin slices. If you are using peas or other very delicate vegetables, cook these separately and add at the end!
Sautée the veggies in olive oil in a pan you can cover (a covered sautée pan or Le Creuset pot, for instance). Add salt and pepper.
When the veggies are soft, move them to one side of the pan and add 3/4 c. arborio rice - sautée until it begins to turn translucent (2 minutes, approximately).
Add 1/4 c. dry white wine and cook off alcohol.
Add 1/2 c. chicken stock and 1 1/2 c. boiling water.
Bring mixture to a boil, cover, and put into a 425-degree oven.
Check the rice after 5-10 minutes and stir.
After another 5-10 minutes, the mixture should be sticky and gooey, but not dry - at this point you can add 1/4-1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese.

...and the buzzer tells me my risotto is ready, so off I go, white wine in hand, to imagine I'm in an Italian villa overlooking the sea. Buon appetito!

Using my Barefoot Contessa cookbook as a guide, I made the leftover risotto into cakes - mix with a bit of yogurt or ricotta cheese, coat in bread crumbs, and sautée in olive oil.

5 comments:

  1. So I totally failed at actually making risotto, because it turned out I didn't have arborio rice in the house, which I thought I did. Having already started the process, I just decided to use brown jasmine rice, which is probably as far from arborio rice as you can get, and required being cooked for an extra 15 minutes, but you know what? It was still delicious! For veggies, I added a few garlic scapes, some orange and yellow bell pepper (from my freezer stash), and a heap of chard, stems cooked with the veggies and leaves stirred in just before the pot when in the oven. It was really good - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum! I was eating risotto in Italy filled with clams, mussels, and octopus as you wrote this! I need to remember to make the risotto cakes - those look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cristie - I do it with Jasmine rice occasionally and it works just fine! As I said in the post, it's really not like *real* risotto texture, so just go with it. I'm so glad you made it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I got arborio rice last time I was at the store, so now that these posts have popped up and reminded me, maybe I'll make the "real" version tonight. :) Especially since we are swimming in summer squash right now from our CSA... Dave really liked the last version too, so that was good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last night I made this with actual arborio rice. Completely different, and also delicious! First I made a chard tart and used the leaves of the chart in that, then I used all the stems and a bunch of summer squash in the risotto (double batch). Though it made rather a lot of dishes (poor Dave), I'm excited about all the tasty leftovers I now have in the house. :)

    ReplyDelete