Sunday, July 24, 2011

Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam

I am back in Massachusetts - for the time being, at least! To get here, my dear friend Stephanie helped me drive all my belongings from the Smithsonian to our little apartment in Somerville, and we had quite the adventure along the way...one stop we made was to see our graduate school friend Kris, who lives in Rhode Island with her husband and children (you have seen them featured in apple picking and farm visit posts previously). Now there is a new addition to the family - little Erik! During this visit, we discovered they have a large rhubarb plant flourishing in the back yard, and they donated their entire crop to us. From this wonderful bounty, I made strawberry-rhubarb jam, which I have frozen in small servings to enjoy as the winter comes...we can only imagine the wonderful, cool temperatures that will be coming as we endure a heat wave of more than 100 degrees!

To make this jam, I always do it by eye and estimate the amounts - but it's important to keep in mind that rhubarb is *extremely* sour and needs lots of sugar to be palatable. You can do this according to your taste, but I like mine tart. I cut the rhubarb into 1" pieces, the Waltham Fields strawberries into quarters, and added enough sugar to make the mixture sweet (3/4 cup or more, perhaps?). When this has boiled down, let it cool and enjoy on yogurt, on bread, in oatmeal, or store in the freezer for a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment