Sunday, August 16, 2009

Apple Picking

Andrew with an apple-picker

Our blog is far behind, but I am ready to catch up now that I'm enjoying summer vacation.  Our winter here was hard and long, but I love the snow so much that it didn't bother me one bit.  We adapted to the winter vegetable hiatus by getting a CSA box from Enterprise Farm, and enjoying traditional, local events:  apple picking and maple syrup making!

We visited an apple orchard in northern Rhode Island with our friends Kris, Steve, and Greta.  This was Greta's first trip to an apple farm and she was a bit wary of the huge trees - until she got her hands on the sweet, tasty apples.  We picked Macoun, MacIntosh, Cortland, and other New England varieties. 



Steve and Greta Dahl, Kris Bovy

I made much apple sauce from this bounty, using the following method:

Core, peel, and roughly chop as many apples as will fit in your stewing pot.  I mix all varieties, though I'm sure other cooks will have opinions about the best apple sauce apples.  If you can, peel in the longest strands possible.
Mix the apples with long strands of the reddest peel (you should pull this out at the end, but it stains the apple sauce pink!), a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg, and about 1/4 c. of water.
Simmer this gently and crush the apples occasionally with a spoon.  It's done when the apples are falling apart.  Remove the strands of apple peel - this is the reason I try to keep them as long as possible.

I don't find this recipe needs any sugar, but you may add some to taste.  This can be canned or frozen, or just enjoyed right from the pot!  Here's enough sugar to last you all winter long:

Greta choosing a Halloween pumpkin!

No comments:

Post a Comment