Monday, January 24, 2011

My Favorite Cookbooks

What do I do when presented with a farm vegetable share, a month's worth of meat, and funny, home-preserved ingredients in the pantry? I turn to my best skill, honed by years of being in a PhD program: research. I have a shelf full of wonderful cookbooks, which I almost never used B.L.E. ("before local eating"), but now that I am presented with a wide variety of ingredients, I turn to these books more and more. This got me thinking about those that are most useful to me and why.

I rarely look for a recipe first and then try to find the ingredients in our pantry. This wouldn't work with our current approach to grocery shopping (which means the farmers choose what to give us, rather than the other way around). Instead, I look through the week's supplies, pull the books from the shelf, plop down at the kitchen table with a glass of wine, and start surfing through the indices. My current favorites are: The Joy of Cooking, Moosewood Restaurant Daily Specials, and The Silver Palate Cook Book. The New Laurel's Kitchen is also a long-time favorite of mine, but one that I turn to for very specific recipes.

The Joy of Cooking - this is an old standard that never gets old. There are other, newer cookbooks that try to address "everything", but I am not swayed. I have Grandmother's copy from the 1960s and the copy Dad bought me in the 1990s, and I use them both because the recipes reflect the era when they were published. For instance, if I want to make jams, jellies, or pickles, I turn to the 1960s cookbook, which contains techniques for processing and canning...and who doesn't love the pictorial on how to skin a squirrel with a boot? The newer cookbook has lower fat recipes and a variety of international recipes that are missing from older versions. I sometimes use the actual recipes from these books, but often I will just tweak the existing recipes to accommodate the ingredients we have - the recipes are forgiving and generally straightforward. I am supported in this love by Julia Child, whose copies of The Joy of Cooking are now on display at the Smithsonian.

I took this picture when Susan and I visited Julia Child's kitchen at the Smithsonian. Her cook books look loved and well-used.

Moosewood Restaurant Daily Specials - Geri gave me this cookbook long ago and I love that it is vegetarian. Because we get *so* many vegetables all year round, I sometimes need inspiration for how to cook carrots yet again, or how to disguise parsnips this week. The Moosewood cookbooks are famous, of course, and sometimes I find their recipes have far too many ingredients - but because they have so many options for vegetables, I find it creative and useful. I am hoping to add to my vegetarian collection with a copy of Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.

The Silver Palate Cook Book
- this has been a staple in my Mom's kitchen for as long as I can remember. Its checkered cover is so familiar that when I saw it on a cart outside a book shop in DuPont circle, I grabbed it immediately. 2 dollars later, I have my own tattered copy, which I am just starting to use. This book has classic recipes, but also chapters for individual vegetables ("carrots", "asparagus", etc.), which gives the cook several recipes for a single vegetable. And, something I always appreciate: there are relatively few ingredients in these recipes.

So there you have it - these are the books I most often use, but I like to empty the shelf and peruse them all from time to time. Ina Garten makes a killer coq-au-vin and Martha Stewart has beautiful pictures; Alice Waters uses only the perfect ingredients and Rick Bayless has taught us to make fabulous Mexican food. I would love to hear what your favorites are, so please leave us some suggestions in the comments section!

5 comments:

  1. I am a fan of "Perfect One-Dish Dinners" (which I wrote about on my blog recently). Some of them do have a lot of ingredients, but only one dish. =) A lot of the recipes use cilantro and that makes me happy! The author also suggests an appetizer, salad, desert, and wine to go with every dish. I've never tried any of the sides, but I plan to someday when I get my act together!
    I like the canning book "Put 'em up." It has a great variety of pickle recipes (among other things), but not so many that choosing one to try is overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I should have prefaced that with: those are just about the only cookbooks I have. =) The joy of cooking was my staple before I bought "Perfect One Dish Dinners."
    I also use www.food.com ALL the time because I can search for ingredients quickly and read the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too make do with what's around rather than lots of trips to Safeway. I mostly use an old version of the 'Joy of Cooking' - but for canning and jams and jellies etc I use the 'Blue Bible' Ball canning booklet. The only other cookbook I use a lot is the 'Best Recipe' by the Cooks Illustrated people. They explain why different things work - I even joined their website and look up their recipes online. Final cookbook is 'the way to Cook' or something (a copy is not at hand) by Julia Child.

    Finally - even though I live in Alaska - I NEVER use the 'Cooking in Alaska' Cookbook everyone seems to like. It is terrible! You seem to just skin and boil everything until it is done - or use lots of mushroom soup for sauce.

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot the Blue Bible Ball canning booklet - I have one too and I love it. You'll have to show me the "Cooking in Alaska" thing when I visit next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love posts like this! Your three favorites here are ones I've known for a while I should get, and yet haven't managed to. In the meantime, the cookbook I use by far the most often is Deborah Madison's "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone," which you mentioned above, so all I can say is it's worth it!! It has some sections on different kinds of foods (sauces, salads, etc.), and then a whole heap of recipes organized by main vegetable ingredient. I actually also use it a lot just for questions like "what's the best temperature to roast a sweet potato at, again?"

    But I do also use the internet a *lot* at this point. My CSA from Santa Cruz has an amazing library of recipes, and I loved it because they were all based around vegetables that I was actually getting from the farm. I've been happy with pretty much everything I've cooked from them. And again, it's another really good source for questions about the basics (regarding vegetables). Take a look at it! http://www.writerguy.com/deb/recipes/keyingred.html

    And finally, one of my very favorite food blogs is Smitten Kitchen: http://smittenkitchen.com/. She makes delicious foods of all sorts, and I've never gone wrong with any of her recipes. I also like that she does sweet as well as savory. Some things are easier, some are more complicated, but they're all tasty!

    ReplyDelete