Saturday, January 15, 2011

MOOSE BURGERS!

Moose burgers, you say? What could this be? It's exactly what it sounds like: hamburgers made from moose meat. When we were at home for Christmas - much to everyone's surprise - my Dad pulled a package of ground moose from his Cape Cod freezer. Susan thought "yuck," Andrew and Tim thought "coool!" and Catherine thought "last time I had that I was in Alaska." Turns out that Dad had some of this moose when he was visiting friends who had hunted the animal in Western Mass, and thought we'd all like to try it.

It was completely incongruous in our little home, but it was a huge, huge, huge hit - the meat was lean and delicious, and had no hint of gaminess. What a food adventure for the Foster-Jones-West family!

3 comments:

  1. I have to say, I've never been much of a carnivore, but my sister and her husband gave us a bunch of deer, elk, and antelope this fall and we've been loving it!
    -Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elk and Mountain Goat await for your visit in April - and how about some black cod?

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES YES YES YES to all of the above. I love elk and mountain goat, but that black cod is amazing. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete