Sunday, October 31, 2010

Autumn Adventures

Audrey (and Peanut!), Andrew, and Catherine picking pumpkins in Montgomery County.

Fall is absolutely, no contest, my favorite time of year. Christmas carols, spring flowers, and a summer swim cannot compete with the crispy leaves underfoot and the lovely cool nights. While I am not in New England to experience the true essence of fall, DC's sunny weather and changing leaves have inspired me to think about my autumn food adventures. As my previous post indicated, I have wavered from my local food commitment at the moment, but I still found time to go apple and pumpkin picking this year (and to eat apple cider donuts, of course).

Apple picking with Anne in Massachusetts.

With all the apples coming from our WFCF apple share and Andrew living on his own, I found 7 full bags of apples waiting for me during my last visit home. These were a wide selection of popular and heirloom varieties, and I simply combined them all to make luscious apple sauce. Because of my food strainer, I am able to quarter the apples, add a small amount of water, sprinkle in some cinnamon, and let them boil 'til soft. Because these apples had been sitting in the fridge for some time, they were full of natural sugars (reminiscent of honey, in my opinion) and I made enough to freeze for the whole winter. We can eat this on its own, with homemade cookies, or even blend it with roasted squash to make our favorite soup.

Wait, what?

No comments:

Post a Comment