Monday, August 30, 2010

Winter Preparations

As the summer begins to wind down, we are overrun with tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, and fruit. I find this time of year so comforting because I know that my freezer and pantry will be full when the darkness of winter sets in. While I am not able to fill the freezer as full as I would like (we are still debating the potential merits of a small chest freezer in the West household), I have started an annual routine that means we will have some tastes of summer in January. To date, I have made pasta sauce, oven-dried tomatoes, pesto, ratatouille, pickles, and frozen fruits.

Dill pickles from Waltham Fields cukes.

Makings of pesto - I blend Waltham Fields basil with olive oil to freeze.
I can add the garlic, salt, and other ingredients fresh when I use the pesto.

Freezing pesto in a muffin tin makes the perfect serving size.
I pop these out and keep them in Ziploc bags.

Making Susan's marinara sauce with Waltham Fields garlic, onion, basil, and tomatoes.

We got 7 pounds of tomatoes one week! Some went in to sauce, the others
I skinned and froze whole...or enjoyed juicy from the vine.

No comments:

Post a Comment