Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cranberry Cornbread

At Christmas-time, I discovered that Dave's Fresh Pasta in Davis Square sells organic Maine cornmeal. It is finely ground, soft, and fluffy, and makes the most delectable muffins and cornbread. Since I am currently addicted to my hearty morning muffin, I decided to combine my Maine cornmeal with the beautiful Cape Cod cranberries I have stashed in the freezer. The result was an indescribable New England treat...and it was gone in a flash!

Look at that golden crust!

To make this lovely cornbread, which also translates well as muffins, I adapted the Joy of Cooking Northern Corn Bread recipe and as many local ingredients as possible:

Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 425. Grease a 9x9 inch pan or muffin pan. Roughly chop 1-2 c. fresh cranberries on a board and sprinkle with a couple of tablespoons of sugar. While this is macerating, whisk together:

1 1/4 c. cornmeal (Maine organic!)
3/4 c. all-purpose flour (Vermont King Arthur!)
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt

In another bowl, whisk together:

2 large eggs (RI farm!)
2/3 c. milk (Shaw farm!)
2/3 c. buttermilk (I used 2/3 c. Vermont yogurt instead)

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir together until just moistened. Fold in the cranberries and chopped nuts, if you like, as well as 2 T oil (I forgot the oil and they were fine - the yogurt added plenty of moisture).

Bake 10-12 minutes for muffins, 20-25 minutes in a square pan. Serve with butter (Kate's from Maine!) and honey (Farmer Al's!).

No comments:

Post a Comment