Friday, May 28, 2010

Bordeaux Part Trois: Du Pain!

As a small child, one of my first words was "bread", and when my Uncle Bob called me on the phone to ask what I was doing I said, in a very small voice, "I'm eating bread." For me, French bread is unparalleled and ranks highly among my favorite foods. Susan and I used to pick apart a loaf on the way home from the grocery store, and I loved the crackly crumbs, moist interior, and that mysterious flavor that cannot be reproduced outside of France. To my delight, Owen shares my love for bread, and his ears perked up whenever he heard the words du pain.

French bread comes in a much wider variety than just the plain baguette, and the local boulangerie will offer several types of grain, shape, and flavor. My favorite is the traditional baguette, and the price of this iconic loaf is tightly controlled by the government. This bread comes with each meal in a restaurant, and the bread is often used as another utensil for pushing food and sopping up delicious French sauces. A tartine is a lovely way to start the day: cut a length of baguette, slice length-wise, slather with creamy French butter and homemade jam, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment