Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Thanks to Cristie

Ooof.  I have just emerged from the first seven weeks of a very busy semester.  While I was searching for a new recipe to cook farmer's market carrots this evening, I opened my brand new, shiny, hefty cook book, Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison.  I feel a little flutter of joy every time I pick up this book because I have yearned to own this cook book for many, many years.  Long ago, I had a roommate who had this book and I have always thought it held important secrets that would unlock the mysteries of vegetarianism...or, at least help me to eat better vegetarian meals.  For some reason I could never bring myself to buy it.

Isn't she lovely?  Maybe it's the seductive colors, maybe the earthy decor...something about this book speaks to me.
Well, not only do I own this cook book now, but it was a total surprise:  a couple of weeks ago, I left the house to do errands and found a package waiting on my porch.  Turns out, my dear friend Cristie remembered how much I covet this book and sent me a surprise package!  Oh the joy!  This book is a wonderful resource for several reasons:  1) Madison's recipes require few ingredients.  I love my Moosewood cookbooks, but I rarely have all the ingredients for their recipes.  2) She has a lengthy section organized by individual vegetables, which I love for inspiration.  Need to cook carrots 8 ways?  Done!  3) She provides a lot of basics: dressings for simple salads, easy soups, creative salads.  I can find easy-to-assemble meals from what I have in the fridge, with a tasty twist.

It's the small things in life that keep us happy.



Glazed Carrots with Mustard and Honey
Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, Deborah Madison

1 1/2 pounds carrots, scrubbed (I used little ones and kept the tops on - so fetching)
1 T butter
1 T honey
2 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and fresh pepper to taste
Chopped parsley

Prepare the carrots how you like them and steam or boil until tender.

In a medium skillet, melt the butter with the honey, then stir in the mustard and carrots and season with salt and plenty of pepper.  Cook over medium heat for several minutes until well coated and bubbling, then toss with chopped parsley and serve.


1 comment:

  1. Awwww! Yay! :)

    (Also, this sounds tasty - I might have to check out the carrots section, since carrots are a vegetable I can eat a lot of right now! ;))

    ReplyDelete