Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Growing potatoes

Growing potatoes.  I have always wondered what it would be like.  It's a bit silly, but gardening is a constant mystery to me.  My jade plant is currently in distress, so it's unlikely I can have a home garden - or so I thought!  No thanks to me, our Maine garden is flourishing.  Andrew has nursed it carefully during our few summer visits, and we are hoping to find a good harvest waiting when we return at the end of August.  One of his more inspired ideas was to plant all the potatoes I accidentally let sprout in the pantry.  After preparing the soil, he cut the potatoes in pieces, dug holes, and waited.  And waited.  And waited.  We were rewarded during out last visit to Maine when Mom suggested we dig one up to see!

Andrew thrilled with his harvest - a sign of things to come.
Inspired by our growing crop, we visited the Orono farmers market and purchased a bucket of beautiful, quarter-sized new potatoes.  Mom remembered buying these while camping in Nova Scotia on her honeymoon 40 years ago and cooking them Foster Style - this means my Dad mixes these with sliced onions, olive oil, and a splash of oil (or butter) and throws them on the grill in a foil packet.  They were, I can say with utmost confidence, the best potatoes I have ever eaten in my entire life.  Stay tuned for news of the autumn harvest!

Beautiful new potatoes - after cooking, they melted in our mouths like butter.  Like butter!

3 comments: