Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A garden....at Chicago O'Hare?

The urban garden at Chicago's O'Hare airport!
 The last time I was stuck in Chicago's O'Hare airport en route to Seattle, I decided to take a walk.  En route, I stopped at Rick Bayless' new Mexican food stand for a salad and noticed a sign that said some of the produce came from the "O'Hare Urban Garden."  Well, wasn't this local eater intrigued?  So, I went on a quest to find this garden during my layover, and couldn't believe my eyes:  on a balcony overlooking the hallways, there is an actual garden.  It appears to be hydroponic and everything grows in columns, fueled by water and lamps. 

Each plant is labeled and the airport restaurants serving this produce are listed.
It's beautiful and very peaceful, and there are comfy chairs provided for passengers - it is certainly unlike any other airport waiting area I have ever seen.  I was a little torn thinking about the amount of energy required to grow these plants indoors, but the air there was very fresh and the produce very green!  A small oasis in the hell known as O'Hare.

Andrew was thrilled!

No comments:

Post a Comment