Sunday, January 8, 2012

Wyman's Blueberries


Andrew seeks the majestic moose!

Every time I tell someone Andrew and I went moose hunting this fall, they look at me with shock and awe...and then I have to explain we used binoculars, not guns. Andrew is a moose enthusiast, and when we saw that several roads on our Maine state map were labelled "Moose Viewing Route," we decided to get in the car and head out into the unknown. And, let me tell you, what we saw made Orono look like a metropolis.

Unfortunately, we didn't see any moose, but we did stumble upon a Wyman's blueberry farm! I keep these Maine blueberries in the freezer for breakfast shakes, but had no idea they came from so nearby. These are the tiny, wild blueberries we New Englanders are used to - not the large, high-bush blueberries found elsewhere. Because it was fall, the blueberry bushes had turned a firey red, which were a beautiful contrast to the steely gray skies that day. When we arrived on the farm, I noticed the cute blue buildings that must house summer workers (who probably don't think they are cute)...as I got out to take a picture, a man in a truck with a shotgun appeared, so I hopped back in and we went on our way. Eeek!

...that wasn't our only gun encounter that day: as we took a stroll on the coast, looking at seals through the binocs, we heard the "pop pop" of a shot gun, and found a pair of duck hunters mere yards from where we sat. Don't underestimate rural Maine.

Seasonal workers' houses - painted blue as a blueberry!
Wyman's blueberry fields in their autumn colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment