Monday, January 18, 2010

Veggie Stock



We are overrun with parsnips. What to do with all these parsnips? And that pesky turnip I can't stand? Well, my solution is to make and freeze vegetable stock. This is the simplest of tasks and uses some of those root vegetables that get out of control at this time of year.

Step 1: Wash veggies - in this case, I have used one carrot, one parsnip, a turnip, and an onion. Cut these into large pieces and cook in about 1 tsp. of olive oil, just until the sides are brown. I have found this gives the vegetable stock more flavor.

Step 2: Fill the pot with water, add a bit of salt, some black peppercorns (or ground pepper), and a couple of bay leaves. Bring to a boil and simmer until the stock turns a rich brown color.

Step 3: Strain and cool, then freeze! I put the stock in yogurt containers, which are about 4 cups each. This is perfect for thinning soup, steaming veggies, making rice, etc., especially when my vegetarian friends come for dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Catherine - Vegetable stock is a great use for turnips, but I have another for you. If you ever make Minestrone, I substitute turnips for the potatoes when I think of it. Even Brian (emphatically not a turnip fan) is okay with it. They end up not tasting turnip-y at all, and they don't get mushy dissolve in the soup the way that potatoes are wont to do. I was skeptical when I heard that, but I've done it now, and swear by turnips in the minestrone! Just some, ahem - food for thought.

    ReplyDelete